- The Pixel is really tricky to flash both Stock and Custom FW
- Follow this guide in EXACT Order
- If you get stuck and need to get back to stock, I highly recommend using Unified Android Toolkit, but if your like me, you'll try to do it manually for an hour before giving up and using the "gui".
- Don't flash SuperSU after flashing custom kernel if you are already rooted, this guide assumes starting "fresh"
- To get TWRP to install, you have to do some real trickery to get it to boot via fastboot, then install img via TWRP, then SuperSU so it doesn't get overwritten on reboot.
- There are even specific images to use for the fastboot and TWRP.zip that need to be used... if specific versions are mentioned, I would use them to start, then consider upgrading to latest once you can reboot into TWRP consistently.
I like to get downloads finished first!
Google Factory Images:
Pure Nexus Rom (Custom Rom):
XDA URL - https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/development/rom-pure-nexus-substratum-fi-wifi-t3533539
Official URL - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=138513
XDA - https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/development/twrp-alpha1-pixel-devices-t3500312
Official URL - https://dl.twrp.me/marlin/
Official URL - http://www.supersu.com/download
Elemental Kernel (Custom Kernel):
XDA - https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/development/kernel-elementalx-pxl-0-02-t3487072
Official URL - http://elementalx.org/devices/pixel/
Unified Android Toolkit (Great for Flashing Factory Images):
Official URL - https://skipsoft.net/download/uat-v156/
Minimal ADB Fastboot (Flashing TWRP Temporarily to boot):
Official URL - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120698566
# Make sure on latest stock FW
- I flash with Unified Android ToolKit
# Flash TWRP
- You must setup phone to access "Developer Options" (Hit Build Number x5 in Settings/About Phone)
- Enable USB Debugging
- (re-)plug in USB and open Minimal ADB
- copy TWRP into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\twrp.img"
Run the following:
# Wipe Data Factory Reset
- From TWRP
# Install Rom
Note: If needed, flash specific Vendor IMG in TWRP
- Use minimal ADB to push rom to phone
- Install via TWRP
# Reboot into OS
- Enable USB Debugging again
# Flash TWRP - USE ALPHA1
- Follow Steps from Above
# Install TWRP - USE RC1
- This time Install TWRP.zip from inside TWRP
# Install SuperSU (Make sure you INSTALL SuperSU from ALPHA version, not RC1)
- Flash Zip from TWRP
# Install Kernel
- Flash Zip from TWRP
# Reboot into OS, profit!
# Download SuperSU & RootChecker from PlayStore to confirm working as expected
- Reboot into TWRP and make a full backup before going to far with the next step!