- Patch uxtheme.dll via UltraUXThemePatcher
- Ribbon Disabler
- A Theme! Trusted source is DevianArt
I liked to use the following theme + Icon Pack: (I prefer the DarkUI, but it can mess up some applications so I install both in case I need to switch between)
Install UXTheme Patcher and Ribbon Disabler and then move theme into folder(s)
- ReRun UXTheme Patcher to confirm status = "patched/no need to patch"
- Themes may come with different "versions" for different versions of windows, extract the zip and look in the folders to confirm you copy the correct folder to themes
- (THIS IS ONLY NEEDED FOR VERSIONS BEFORE v1703) For dark themes Windows 10 loads defaults from the following registry location after every lock/sleep/hibernate/crash.
Make a backup of that key, take ownership of it, and then delete that whole key (defualtcolors).
- Right click anywhere on the desktop, select Personalize then go down to Themes and find the Visual Style you wish to apply.