NOTE : THIS IS FOR V1, read comments Regarding V2. Untested as I have V1 only.
The Linksys EA6500 is a great piece of hardware that came with bad firmware IMO. But its been on eBay refurbished for some time now for ~30$!! So that is a steal, currently I have 2, one as a wireless repeater with the TX increased on both to 100 and it works like a charm! *Read guide at bottom about Wireless Repeaters*
This is not for the faint of heart! It took me multiple tries (<10) to get DD-WRT to take and I have tested with 2 separate routers. But I was successful both times eventually! If you aren't familiar with this content a bit, I'd stay with default FW. Also Read entire guide and download all files before disconnecting from Internet!
- Disconect from Internet and hardwire in via one of the 4 LAN ports
- SET STATIC IP! (Check out how to Change IP with .CMDs to allow easy switching)
- Navigate to Linksys WebGUI *Linksys default webpage is 192.168.1.1 pwd admin*
- Usually you have to change your OEM firmware via Connectivity >> Manual "Choose File" >> YES I have read successful reports of using FW_EA6500_184.108.40.206156_prod.trx & FW_EA6500_220.127.116.11856.SSA but you can try FW_EA6500_18.104.22.168351.SSA as well
- [Update] I recently used 1.1.29 + dd.wrt.23082 successfully, but again, its a hit a miss process.
5. Try to upload A or B (This process is not 100% seems to be hit or miss, try different OEM FW and try different DD-WRT FW) (Smallest DD-WRT 1st, IE: ~21MB then update to newer ~24MB FW's)
6. Once you get here, unplug Ethernet cord and reboot PC while router finishes. Then try accessing 192.168.1.1 once rebooted.
7. Once it takes, you will get to DD-WRT Splash screen and now you can update (Administration >> Firmware Upgrade) to any version of DD-WRT for linksys EA6500.
BrianSlayer ports @ ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/
Users have seemed to like the 27490-ea6500.trx release. (Including me)
##First check version number to be able to confirm update.
9. To restore OEM Firmware follow steps to update firmware and just select OEM hardware from step #4.
10. Do a 30-30-30 reset to make sure it really stuck, you'll have to do it at some point probably, better now then at a mission critical point!