First you will need a few things...
- A Host machine and a hyper-visor for a "Staging VM"
- Windows 10 ADK
- Windows 10 ISO with Media Creation Tool OR Windows 10 LTSB x64
Autounattend.xml aka Answers file for unattended setup
NOTE: Autounattend.xml has to be either MBR or UEFI configured if you want to have it fully automated
- This site makes a basic XML >> http://windowsafg.no-ip.org/win10x86_x64.html
- Or just use the base scripts Microsoft has provided and edit to your needs
- Or use NTLite and copy the final autounattend.xml
- Here is my copy you can just use but there are a few things you might want to edit
- Local Account = Admin and PWD = admin
- Tested on Windows 10 x64 LTSB
- Setup for UEFI auto partition ENTIRE Disk
- Computer name = Matrix
- Key is generic LTSB key from microsoft
- WinPE ISO
Create "Staging VM":
- Don't add a NIC to new VM
- Install Windows as normal, after it's first reboot it will ask to select region
- STOP HERE AND ENTER "AUDIT MODE"
- Close System Preparation Tool for now
Disabling the “Consumer Experience” via GPO (gpedit.msc)
- Add Back NIC to VM
- Update Windows via regular methods
- Reboot to complete updates as needed, closing SySPrep each reboot
- Tweak Windows as desired, I don't bother tweaking untill after Windows Update as sometimes Windows Update overwrites my changes and I don't notice
- Removing Apps if desired, run the following in PowerShell:
- Download my powershell script and run as Administrator
- First you need to "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned" in PowerShell to enable running scripts
- Note: these apps can be redownloaded via the Windows Store if desired, but they will not be included in the base Windows install.
- Once satisfied with VM shut down and export backup named "Ready for SySPrep"
Power on and this time, run SySPrep with desired options
- Once its done it should poweroff
- Now fire up the WinPE ISO and create a custom WIM image
- Extract image back to host computer
THIS IS WHERE I SWITCH TO NTLITE!
Split IMG into files smaller than 4GB's for FAT32 (Required for UEFI)
- Extract Regular Win10 ISO to C:\WinExtract
- Remove install.(esd/wim) from C:\WinExtract\sources\
- Copy over
install*.swm files back into C:\WinExtract\Sources
Create new ISO via the following in CMD
- Inject any other drivers into ISO with whatever software you choose. I like to add the VMWare_Tools.ISO as well as the VirtIO KVM Drivers ISO and the NVidia Graphx drivers and VirtualBox Guest Additions.
- I just place them under a folder called "Drivers" then if you need a driver to load for windows installation you can just manually search that folder and windows should find the drivers automatically.
- Start small with tweaks and then test/deploy and see how it goes before doing all of your tweaks
- Not all changes stuck, like changes to "View" and desktop shortcuts etc, but RegEdit and GPO changes stayed as well as programs which is enough of a "head start" for me.
- To make both UEFI and MBR ISO you can't have automatic partitioning in unattend.xml